Friday, October 21, 2011

More happening at MIU / LEI . . . . .

The days have been full at LEI these days for me. I continue to enjoy the whirlwind of activity going on. But as one man of God once said as he passed through some crazy days of riots and frenzied mobs, "I saw that God was in the whirlwind." When I used to work in civil engineering back in southern California, things were more or less predictable from day to day. Here in the hustle and bustle of city and university life, and in our Bible study and contact with churches, Kathy and I seem to be meeting new people almost daily. Great!! And what quality people we often meet. 

Recently there was a contest called Golden Bell put on by a Korean organization. Mongolian students from seven universities competed in competition in Korean to test their skills and knowledge in the language. The setting was like a TV game show. MIU students did well. 

One day I took a taxi with Nasim my friend. There was a little girl in the back seat, no doubt the daughter of the woman taxi driver. Poor girl seemed so bored back there, and must have been sitting for so long while her mom tried to eek out an existence as a driver. We couldn't talk much with her, but with the language of kindness and love the little one warmed up and seemed to have a good time.

Also MIU had a basketball competition a few weeks ago. Wow.. lasted about 10 hours. I went in the morning to cheer the teams, and ended up playing for one of the teams that only had 4 guys. Thinking I only had to wait a few games, we ended up waiting 4 hours. It was great to play though, and worth the wait, and the students watching were kind enough to cheer when I made points, even though we lost. I trust there will be more opportunities.

I have also posted some photos of the walk from our apartment to MIU. I try to walk to the university each morning, since it is not too cold yet. It takes 30 minutes, and even though the street is the busiest in the city, between our apartment and MIU there is a walkway in the middle of the street, so it is quite nice.

We also spent time with friends, and you can see some photos of us with them, along with a few random pictures of the city.


The Golden Bell competition . . . .




Jung Eun and Tseko from LEI :)


Our friend Zolboo...

Bishrelt :)

Bishrelt and Zolboo with me at our home.

The taxi driver's daughter and I make a connection .... :)


Lots of teams competed at the MIU basketball competition.

Girls and guys' teams played. So many Mongolians love basketball.


Our friend Nasim :)

Kathy and I had lunch with Ganaa, our friend at MIU.

Ganaa and Kathy

One of the buildings in the military district near MIU.

The walkway in the center of Peace Avenue, the main street in UB.







Our apartment is a bit left of the center of the photo.



. . . on the balcony of our apartment . . .

Non-traffic Day, when Peace Avenue was closed to cars and buses.

No comments:

Post a Comment