Sunday, May 15, 2011

The High School Graduation of a Friend

Friday I went to the high school graduation of a friend of Kathy and I. Her name is Munguu. Unfortunately Kathy was not able to go with me because she had to teach a class Friday morning. I had never been to a graduation in Mongolia before, so it was really interesting to be there. And I met a man from England named John Gibbens who has lived in Mongolia since 1972. Needless to say he is a wealth of knowledge about everything Mongolian and speaks the language fluently.

The students were all excited about the graduation. Of course I am proud of Munguu and other friends we have here in Mongolia who are graduating this year. It was so nice to be there on Friday!!

My friend Munguu and me at her graduation

Every country has its customs regarding many events in life such as graduations, marriage, funerals, and so on. I have posted a photo of my friends and I when we graduated from high school in Arlington Heights, Illinois in 1972. The reason I post it here is because to us in America, what we are wearing in the photo is totally normal. But if you think about it, don't you think it is strange for teenage boys to be wearing red robes and a hat with a square piece of cardboard on the top?!! The dresses the girls typically wear in Mongolian high schools are traditional graduation clothes. The style dates back to the mid to late 1800's in Europe and America. I have posted a few photos for you to see. The famous impressionist artist DeGas painted a family in 1859 where you can see two girls with quite similar dresses.

Friends and I at our high school graduation. I am on the far right.

The Belleli family by Degas - 1859

A Russian girl in the late 1800's

A New York grammar school - about 1880

Some of the students who graduated at Munguu's high school


The graduation ceremony


Munguu and her mother Nergui




John Gibbens from England, whose son attends the high school.

John with his son

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Amy!! Nice comment... Thanks for the graduation greetings for Munguu... :) Your Korean is so good!!

    ReplyDelete