Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam ! !

Having left Hanoi, Noel Horton and I flew to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) for 5 days. What a different sense of things there. The weather was much warmer, the sky was generally clear and sunny, the roads were generally wider and better, and there was a sense that the economy is much better than Hanoi.

We visited some friends there, particularly our friend Kim Ngan who is an unofficially adopted daughter :) It was so good to spend time with her and her cousin Quan Anh as well as some other friends: Mandy and Ryan and Kok Kee, who I met some years ago in Malaysia.

One of the highlights was time spent at the hometown of Kim Ngan where her family owns some rice fields. Beautiful to see the fields and take a long walk through the town and into the countryside to get there... :)

Too soon Noel and I had to fly back to Hanoi. I have stayed on for a few days here in Hanoi, and Noel has flown back to Mongolia. I plan to fly back home to Mongolia on Friday.


Noel Horton, Quan Anh, Kim Ngan and me

Quan Anh and Kim Ngan took us up on a bridge one evening

Nice view from the bridge

Near the center of Saigon

The night market... watch out for motorbikes!!

The Catholic church in the center of the city

The place where Kim Ngan works

A man expertly cutting and trimming a coconut

Noel, Sothea, Kim Ngan and me

Some school girls

Mandy and Ryan with me

Noel, Kok Kee and me

Young girl with a colorful facemask

We crossed over a river by ferry... packed with motorbikes!


Most students wear uniforms to school


One of Kim Ngan's uncles who is constructing a new home for the family

Kim Ngan with her hats :)


Kim Ngan as we walked to her rice fields





Me with Kim Ngan's rice field behind me

Beautiful!!

The house Kim Ngan's uncle is building for the family


View from the ferry in the evening as we headed back to Saigon

No comments:

Post a Comment